ABOUT 4-H HEALTH HEROES
The Ohio 4-H Healthy Living program is spreading the word that young people can have a strong voice in advocating?for healthy changes, not only individually, but also community-wide. At the 2016 National Youth Summit?teens from around the state of Ohio?developed action plans to make their communities healthier places. These individuals involved in the?program are called 4-H Health Heroes.
4-H Health Heroes promote healthy eating, encourage people to engage in physical activities, and promote positive community change. Additionally,?4-H Health Heroes help Ohio 4-H accomplish the goals of the National 4-H Healthy Living Mission Mandate, which encourages youth and families to gain optimal physical, social, and emotional well-being.
BENEFITS OF BEING A?4-H HEALTH HERO
- Gain valuable leadership and communication skills
- Meet other 4-H youth from across Ohio who are invested in healthy living
- Leave a positive impact on your family, friends, and community
- Promote the 4th H!
- Be recognized at the 2020?Ohio 4-H Conference in March
EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS?TO SERVE AS A 4-H HEALTH HERO
- Be currently enrolled in 4-H and in grades 9-12 at the beginning of the 2019-2020 academic school year.
- Be available to serve as a 4-H Health Hero from September 2019 through August 2020 (option to renew membership).
- Attend and actively participate in an all-day training session (see training date and location below).
- Participate in face-to-face (in Columbus) and virtual meetings.
- Complete teaching and/or advocacy activities promoting healthy living at the state level and/or in your community.
- Participate in state events, such as the Ohio 4-H Conference, The Ohio State Fair, HealthU, new Health Hero trainings, and/or any other events identified by Extension staff.
- Keep up-to-date on 4-H Health Hero activities by consistently checking and responding to communication from program staff in a timely manner.
- Be interested in learning about healthy eating, leading an active lifestyle, and other health-related topics.
- Be excited to teach others about nutrition, physical activity, mental health, and drug prevention.
- Be responsible and trustworthy.
- Be passionate about making a difference in your community.
- Record activities conducted as a 4-H Health Hero and report to Extension staff.
- Actively share the message of Healthy Living within your local 4-H clubs and/or school clubs.
- Model healthy eating and physical activity to family, friends, and 4-H members.
2019 TRAINING DATE
- Accepted applicants will have to complete a required training on Saturday, September 28, 2019, from 10 am to 4 pm at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center in Columbus.
- September 28, 2019 – Required training for new Health Heroes at the 4-H Center in Columbus
- October 19, 2019 – face-to-face meeting at the 4-H Center
- November 16, 2019?– meeting; format TBA
- December 7, 2019 – face-to-face meeting at the 4-H Center
- January 11, 2020 – face-to-face meeting at the 4-H Center (a virtual meeting will be held in the case of inclement weather)
- February 13-16, 2020 – National Youth Summit on Healthy Living in Washington D.C (if selected to participant)
- March 14, 2020 – Ohio 4-H Conference at the Columbus Convention Center
- April 2020 – TBA
- May 2020 – TBA