To learn the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen? Test (CGC) and the 4-H PetPALS Socialized PetPALS Test (SPP) testing requirements to evaluate an animal’s appropriateness to become a 4-H PetPAL.
Animals that are involved in animal-assisted activities?MUST?have the temperament and ability to interact with people as well as other animals.? They must be reliable, predictable and inspire confidence in those whom they visit.? Pets, as a part of the 4-H PetPALS team, must be evaluated and pass either the Canine Good Citizen Test (for dogs) or the Socialized PetPALS Test (for other pets)?BEFORE?they can visit healthcare facilities.?
CGC Test Items include:
- Item 1: Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Item 2: Sitting Politely for Petting
- Item 3: Appearance and Grooming
- Item 4: Out For a Walk
- Item 5: Walking Through a Crowd
- Item 6: Sit and Down on Command/Staying in Place
- Item 7: Coming When Called (Dogs only)
- Item 8: Reaction to Another Dog
- Item 9: Reaction to Distractions
- Item 10: Supervised Separation
SSP Test Items include:
- Item 1:?Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Item 2:?Sitting Politely for Petting
- Item 3:?Appearance and Grooming
- Item 4:?Out For a Walk
- Item 5:?Walking Through a Crowd
- Item 6:?Sit and Down on Command/Staying in Place
- Item 7:?Reaction to Another Dog
- Item 8:?Reaction to Distractions
- Item 9:?Supervised Separation
Refer to the 4-H PetPALS Curriculum for an explanation of the Test Items. Any updated AKC CGC? Test information can be found at?www.akc.org.?
Please note that the CGC and SPP tests are not official certification tests for dogs and other animals, respectively, visiting healthcare facilities. Passing the appropriate test is required for completion of the 4-H PetPALS project and to visit healthcare facilities as a 4-H PetPALS team. Organizations such as Delta Society?, Therapy Dogs Incorporated, and Therapy Dogs International have specific testing criteria for evaluating animals to participate in animal-assisted activities and animal-assisted therapy. 4-H PetPALS members are encouraged to explore the testing requirements of these organizations to further qualify their pets for visiting in different environments.
All videos may require a QuickTime? Player to preview. A free download is available for Mac + PC?here.